Dear CGU Students,
Happy New Year! Thank you for supporting our efforts to plan your return through this evolving journey. We continue to ask for your partnership and flexibility as we prioritize our academic mission and your health and safety. Throughout the pandemic, conditions and requirements can change rapidly. Please check your Canvas and email regularly for notifications, including changes to course modality. COVID-19 updates and reminders are available here: CGU COVID-19 Response Plans & Procedures (https://my.cgu.edu/covid-19-response/). CGU will continue to follow all LA County guidance to ensure safety to our community while continuing to provide high-touch service to our students.
As cases are surging and expected to increase over the next few weeks, CGU has planned a temporary modified return to campus for staff and faculty throughout January. Spring classes will begin on Tuesday, January 18, and will be fully online for the first two weeks of the semester. In-person appointments with staff and faculty and access to campus spaces will be limited. Students should request remote appointments for student services, academic professional development offices, academic departments, and administrative offices. Unlike the last shutdown, academic campus buildings will remain open during business hours (8 am-5 pm). A list of commonly accessed campus resources is enclosed, including shared services and labs: https://my.cgu.edu/dean-of-students/. While on campus, all staff, faculty, and students must follow the CGU masking guidelines outlined by LA County mask protection and recommendations.
Daily Health Check
All CGU community members coming to campus must fill out the daily health check form. If you are feeling ill, please do not come to campus.
Booster Vaccine and Testing Program
Given the rapid COVID-19 surge across the nation and at institutions, we highly encourage all eligible students to obtain the vaccination booster and provide their updated records to Student Health Services. Attached to this email are instructions on uploading your COVID booster record. At this time, CGU does not require the vaccine booster. However, CGU will continue to follow LA County guidance. Cross-registered students must adhere to 5C policies, which require the vaccine booster.
- All students enrolled in on-campus/in-person courses, including cross-registered students, must submit their vaccination records or request an exemption. All approved students will receive notification from the Dean of Students Office of their approval to visit campus.
- Students should re-submit their vaccination record ONLY if they:
- Did not receive approval to visit campus in fall 2021
- Have received the vaccine booster and are cross-registered
- Cross registered students must adhere to 5C vaccination policies, including the vaccine booster, and should upload their updated records with Student Health Services. Please review the institution policies: https://www.pitzer.edu/, https://www.cmc.edu/, https://www.hmc.edu/, https://www.scrippscollege.edu/future-students/, https://www.pomona.edu/.
- Students with approved exemptions do not need to submit a request for the vaccine booster. Students with approved exemptions are enrolled in the testing program and should be prepared to resume testing the week before classes start. Students enrolled in the testing program have received notification from the Dean of Students Office of their testing day and compliance expectations. Students enrolled in the testing program must continue weekly testing regardless of course delivery.
- Students that do not plan to enroll in on-campus/in-person courses in spring 2022 should have submitted their vaccination records or affidavit for remote study/work. Continuing students that submitted their affidavit for remote study/work in fall 2021 and plan to visit campus spring 2022 should submit their vaccination records or request an exemption. Students must receive written approval from the Dean of Students Office before coming to campus.
If you are not enrolled in the testing program, you are not approved for testing at Student Health Services. Students seeking COVID-19 Testing facilities should visit the Dean of Students Office website and review information found under COVID-19 Resources: https://my.cgu.edu/dean-of-students/home/covid-19-resources/.
All students approved to visit campus should secure well-fitted masks that provide filtration and fully cover the nose and mouth, such as N95, KN95, or KF94 masks. Masks must not have any visible holes or openings. Vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals should wear masks outdoors when appropriate distancing is not possible.
Reporting and Contact Tracing
CGU will continue to monitor cases and report them on our dashboard. To have accurate data, we ask that you report if you have exposed others to COVID-19 while visiting campus by contacting Student Health Services and Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Isolation and Quarantine Requirements
CGU will continue to monitor CDC isolation and quarantine guidance and provide updates.
Booster availability at SHS
Boosters are expected to be available for The Claremont Colleges students on January 24.
Campus Life and Academic Building access
As we gradually and safely return, students are encouraged to use outdoor spaces for dining and studying. These spaces include the School of Arts and Humanities backyard and Hagelbarger’s Courtyard. Hagelbarger’s Café remains open from 8:00 am-2:00 pm during the week and cross –campus dining at the 5C’s is not permitted at this time.
Your support is essential and appreciated, and we thank you for your ongoing cooperation. We hope this is temporary and that we can gradually return to in-person instruction and operations in February.
CGU COVID-19 Task Force