Information regarding CGU Procedures and COVID-19
Claremont Graduate University is transitioning to an Online Flex model for fall 2020 classes. This model is designed to support all students in their academic progress. The majority of classes will be fully online, with limited on-campus activity for those degree programs that require a physical campus presence. Our overall goal is to facilitate the academic progress of our students in a manner that best supports the health of the entire CGU community.
We are communicating with students, faculty, staff, and alumni about our preparations and have instituted precautionary policies regarding travel and events. Additionally, we are encouraging our community to maintain healthy habits to inhibit the spread of the virus.
CGU has an emergency task force team meeting regularly to ensure the campus is prepared should a change in guidance become necessary.
Because this situation is changing rapidly, we recommend that members of our community check this page frequently for updates or new messages.
CGU is set to resume classes on August 31, 2020. Taking all factors into account, CGU will proceed with an Online Flex model designed to support all students in their academic progress. The majority of classes will be fully online, with limited on campus activity for those degree programs that require a physical campus presence. Our overall goal is to facilitate the academic progress of our students in a manner that best supports the health of the entire CGU community. Learn more about CGU’s plans for the Fall 2020 semester.
CGU has canceled all in-person events, and is transitioning upcoming events to a virtual format when possible. Check the CGU Events Calendar for more details.
All university-sponsored travel is prohibited at this time. Any exceptions must receive approval from a dean or vice president. Any student or employee who travels domestically or internationally must quarantine for 14 days before coming on campus in compliance with CDC guidance.
We urge all members of our community to consider the potential consequences of personal travel, including:
- Airlines may cancel/limit flights in or out of a country or region.
- The U.S. and other countries may apply additional quarantine measures.
- Countries you visit may decide to implement travel restrictions with very little notice, impacting your ability to return
- Re-entry to the U.S. could be restricted.
- Before your return to campus, CDC guidelines may require you to self-isolate depending on your travel.
- International students and foreign nationals should check their immigration documents before leaving the U.S. If you are unable to return to the U.S. for the start of the semester, your visa status may be impacted.
We encourage anyone who is planning travel to fill out the university’s Travel Registration Form. This will allow CGU to contact you in the event of a significant emergency or changing circumstances related to your travel destination.
As of Monday, March 16, 2020, CGU has transitioned to telecommute operations for staff and faculty. This operational status remains in place until further notice.
As of Friday, March 20, 2020, at 5:00 pm, in compliance with Governor Newsom’s “Safer at Home” guidelines, all CGU buildings will be closed and will remain locked at all times. Deans and program coordinators will reach out to students expected to be most heavily impacted by this directive and will provide guidance on alternate plans.
If you require access to a building during standard business hours (8:30 am – 5:00 pm), please contact Facilities to arrange for entry (Primary: 909-607-7765; Secondary Facilities On-Call: 909-727-6278). Advance notice and a CGU ID card will be required for entry. Campus Safety will continue to patrol CGU buildings and parking areas.
The Office of Information Technology, considered essential on-site personnel, will have a limited presence to respond to technology concerns and to maintain remote lab access availability for students and faculty.
Human Resources and the Mailroom will be open from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm. For HR issues, please contact Alejandra Gaytan at 909-282-7531. Other essential functions will be staffed on campus for a reduced number of hours. Please be sure to call or email before going to campus for assistance.
We ask that everyone at CGU comply with the “Safer at Home” guidelines for the well-being of our community.
All employees must coordinate their telecommute activities with their supervisor. Please communicate technical support needs to your supervisor instead of submitting a help desk ticket, as the priority of our IT functions remains the full transition to online instruction.
Employees should contact their supervisor and/or Human Resources with any extenuating circumstances that require an accommodation, such as childcare requirements.
You may contact the following individuals for specific questions.
All employees are asked to communicate with their supervisor or Human Resources about extenuating circumstances that may require special accommodation and/or exemption from rotational on-campus attendance. This includes those that are high risk or who live with others that are at high risk for contracting COVID-19.
Additionally, should you or a family member become ill, or should your personal situation require time off, we are allowing employees to accrue negative balances in their sick time.
In response to COVID-19, our Facilities team continues to implement best practices for cleaning and sanitation in line with CDC, local Health Department(s), and Sodexo Safety & Health to reduce exposure throughout campus, including:
- Provision of increased sanitizer stations throughout campus.
- Conversion of existing soap dispensers to “EcoLab” soap dispensers w/sanitizing agent.
- Our custodial department has increased frequency in wiping down handles, doorknobs, and countertops throughout campus as an additional measure.
- Circulating safety and health informational flyers throughout campus to combat COVID-19 exposure.
Optum-Coping-with-a-Public-Health-Event-Coronavirus.pdf is a guide that provides a helpful explanation of the current coronavirus outbreak from UnitedHealth Group. Also included are toll-free numbers for emotional support, checklists of things you should know and steps to help keep you healthy, as well as links to public health resources.
The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus. Everyone is encouraged to follow the health and safety guidelines shared by the CDC and the Public Health Department.
In conjunction with CDC Recommendations, we strongly encourage faculty, staff, or students who are not feeling well to stay home until you are free from fever or symptoms of acute respiratory illness. If you have questions please contact Student Health Services.
If you suspect you might be infected with the COVID-19 virus, call your doctor’s office, urgent care, or the emergency room for advice on whether you should seek medical attention. CGU insurance providers have published Remote Visit Information. To minimize the risk of spreading infection, medical facilities want to ensure that they are prepared before you arrive to seek treatment.
CGU COVID-19 Campus Communications
- Office of the Provost: Online Teaching and Operations Extended (4/8/20)
- Office of Marketing & Communications: CGU COVID-19 Campus Update (3/26/20)
- Office of Marketing & Communications: CGU Campus Update (3/20/20)
- Student Life, Diversity & Leadership: Travel Advisory Notice (3/20/20)
- Dean of Students: Remote availability for Student Affairs and Student Services Offices (3/17/20)
- Office of Information Technology: Information for Telecommuting (3/15/20 – updated 3/16/20)
- Office of Human Resources: Telecommuting Logistics (3/15/20 – updated 3/23/20)
- Staff Telecommuting Policy to Start Monday, March 16, 2020 (3/15/20)
- Student Life, Diversity & Leadership: COVID-19 International Services Updates (3/13/20)
- Office of Marketing & Communications: COVID-19 CGU Business Operations Update (3/12/20)
- Office of the President: COVID-19 CGU Campus Update (3/12/20)
- Office of the Provost: Online Options for Students and Faculty (3/11/20)
- Office of the President: CGU and KGI COVID-19 Response Update (3/11/20)
- Office of the Provost: Message to Faculty (3/10/20)
- Office of Human Resources: Kaiser Anthem and EAP FAQs about Coronavirus (3/10/20)
- Office of the President: COVID-19 Guidelines for CGU Faculty and Staff (3/4/20)
- Office of the Provost: Academic Continuity Preparation re: COVID-19 (3/4/20)
- Dean of Students: Coronavirus Travel and Spring Break Guidance (3/4/20)