At our institution of higher education, we believe that diversity is essential to the learning environment we want to create and the equitable society we aspire to build. We are committed to fostering a culture of inclusion, belonging, and respect for all members of our community, regardless of their race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, religion, or socioeconomic status.
Regardless of what the Supreme Court’s opinion on affirmative action may be, we are determined to remain unwavering in our efforts to embrace diversity, no matter what. Through this pledge, we commit to using innovative strategies, consistent with the law and our mission, that will increase the representation and success of historically underrepresented students and subsequently advance our position as a leading academic institution.
Some of these strategies include:
- Eliminating racially biased entrance examinations and adopting a holistic approach that considers every aspect of an applicant’s background, achievements, and potential.
- Supporting the matriculation and retention of low-income and first-generation students through outreach programs, scholarships, mentoring, and academic support services.
- Recruiting diverse faculty and staff who can serve as role models and mentors for our students while contributing to our curriculum and research.
- Creating a welcoming, and supportive campus climate that values diversity, stands for equity, and advances inclusion in all aspects of academic and social life.
- Striving towards greater inclusivity by ending the utilization of legacy admissions which give advantage to children and family members of institutional alumni or donors.
- Partnering with and supporting Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Tribal Colleges, Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSIs), Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institutions (AANAPISI), and other Minority Serving Institutions that have deeply rooted race-conscious missions.
We believe that these strategies, and more, will not only benefit our students, but also enhance the quality and impact of our education, research, and service. As we envision the future of learning in this country and the global community, it is imperative that we are embracing diversity, equity, and inclusion – no matter what.
We call on our fellow higher education institutions to join us in signing the NAACP Diversity No Matter What pledge.